Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:46:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Helge Oldach <iuidas73123@oldach.net>
To:        is@beverly.kleinbus.org (Ignatios Souvatzis)
Cc:        jhs@berklix.com
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD Modems & Cards

Ignatios Souvatzis:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 08:32:15PM +0200, Helge Oldach wrote:
>
> > Apart from the issues mentioned already there is a minor encapsulation
> > gain. While on an external TA you usually can run HDLC encapsulation
> > with byte stuffing only, an internal card would allow for bit stuffing
> > which is slightly more efficient.
> sane ISDN TA do (well, can be operated) in a mode where computer-side
> async HDLC is converted to line-side sync HDLC.

ACK, with the buzzword being "sane". In my (of course biased) perception
that translates to: too many options, too many parameters, too many bugs
to make this a truely reliable thing over a wide range of TAs. (Been
there, done that, concluded that it is Not Funny (tm).)

OTOH this is essentially a non-issue with internal cards because there
is full access to whatever HDLC framing you like.

As always, YMMV, and in fact it might also be an enlightening experience
to fiddle with external TAs... :-)

Helge