Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:44:00 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, mckay@thehub.com.au, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir@Alfacom.net>
Subject:   Re: Whatever happened to CTM?

On Tuesday, 20th March 2001, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 04:53:33PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> On 20-Mar-01 Michael C . Wu wrote:
>> > For all connections greater than 9600baud modems, we recommend
>> > using CVSup to get src-all and ports-all updated. At the worst case,
>> > be able to CVSup a ports-all collection within an hour, with heavy
>> > packet loss and low bandwidth.
>> >
>> > i.e. CTM sucks, don't use it. :)

On the contrary, I prefer CTM over CVSup, even on a fast connection (which
I don't currently have).  On a slow or intermittent connection, CTM beats
CVSup by a large margin.

>> cvsup is not available via e-mail for those who may only have e-mail access
>> for one reason or another.

Firewalls make CTM style delivery essential.  (No, Stefan, I don't like
your tunneling idea. :-)

>I have been hosting the machine which ran ctm,

And many thanks indeed for your service!

>unfortunatly my provider
>cut me off and I just got some access back, but not for the location
>the ctm machine is located at.
>
>At this time I do not know yet when it will have access again.

Surely FreeBSD Inc (or whatever it is that owns the freebsd.org machines)
could spring for a box.  Assuming Ulf is still keen, it shouldn't be too
hard for him to remote administer it.

Stephen.