Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:13:16 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        John Saylor <jsaylor@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmcd fails, xcdplayer does not with ATAPI CD

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 09:15:50PM -0400, John Saylor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been trying to get xmcd to work on my FreeBSD 4.0 box without success.
> I recompiled the kernel and added the pcm device- which works just fine. I
> have also gotten xcdplayer to work, but since it lacks CDDB support, I am
> unsatified with it. I have 2 ATAPI cdroms on my secondary IDE controller-
> one is a cd-reader/writer and the one I am using for audio cds is an old 4x
> one I grabbed out of a dying 486. I hate to admit this, but it works under
> NT 4.
>
> I'm attaching a listing of the device files- acd1c.0 is the device I got
> when I ran MAKEDEV and acd1c is the one I replaced it with. And also the
> output I got from xmcd when I ran it with the debug flag.

[snip]

> Common parameters:
>         device:                         /dev/cdrom
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^
[snip]

> Device-specific (privileged) parameters:
>         devnum:                         0
>         deviceList:                     /dev/cdrom

[snip]

> Open: /dev/cdrom
> Cannot open /dev/cdrom: errno=6
> Open of /dev/cdrom failed
>
> Open: /dev/cdrom
> Cannot open /dev/cdrom: errno=6
> Open of /dev/cdrom failed
>
> Open: /dev/cdrom
> Cannot open /dev/cdrom: errno=6
> Open of /dev/cdrom failed

Does /dev/cdrom exist on your machine? If so, is it a symlink to /dev/acd1?
I suspect not.

From the xmcd manpage:

      -dev device
              Specifies the path name to the raw  CD-ROM  device.
              If  this  option is not used, the default device to
              be used is the first drive set  up  with  the  xmcd
              configuration program (See below).

So, either run it as ``xmcd -dev /dev/acd1'' or, preferably, run the
config program to tell xmcd which CD device to use (see the section
DEVICE CONFIGURATION in the manpage).

HTH

--
  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?