Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:25:32 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
To:        Alan Edmonds <aedmonds@digitalconvergence.com>
Cc:        Drew Sanford <lauasanf@bellsouth.net>, Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop <-> Desktop by ethernet

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Alan Edmonds wrote:

> Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.  There is
> an issue with some of the Intel chipset cards
> and crossover cables.  The summary is you can't
> use a crossover cable.  I'm not sure exactly which
> Intel NIC cards are affected.  It might be only
> trying to connect two Intel cards together that
> is a problem.
>
> If you can try it with a hub, it might solve your problem.
>
> There was a discussion about this on -hackers not too long
> ago.  Here's a link to the previous discussion.
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=45338+47352+/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-hackers/19981025.freebsd-hackers

I've used Intel Express Pro 100(+?)'s with crossover cables last night
between 3.4 and 4.1.

And I've definatly had one running between two fxp0 on a 4.1 system.

--
Internet Vision          Internet Consultancy           Tel: 020 7589 4500
60 Albert Court            & Web development            Fax: 020 7589 4522