Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:00:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        warrior@mailbox.riga.lv
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: out of inodes

warrior@mailbox.riga.lv wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I was installing Ports Collection, then suddenly:
> /:create/symlink failed, no inodes free
>
> Weird, since I've space!

Not weird. Free space != free inodes. Free space corresponds to blocks
of unallocated storage. Free inodes correspond exactly to files. UFS
partitions have limits not only on how much space you can utilize, but
on how many files you can create.

If I recall correctly, the recent ports collection contains on the
order of 60,000 files, PLUS the directory links. I don't have access
to a FreeBSD system right now, so I can't give an exact number. Point
is, though, that the ports collection will significantly bloat your
inode count.

> the sysinstall command created that slice with default settings, so
> I don't know.

Run 'df -i' to see the iused and ifree columns, which basically show
you how many files you have created vs. how many files you can create,
for each partition. To increase ifree, you must re-run newfs with a
lower -i value.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon