Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:19:38 -0600
From:      Shawn Harrison <harrison@tbc.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logo Contest

Dave Wood wrote [02/10/05 11:41 AM]:
> It's a known fact that people judge books by the cover, despite the
> fact that everyone knows it's really what's inside that counts.

I work in publishing, and we have this very issue. Editors are concerned
with making what's _inside_ good, and rarely get any credit. Marketers
are concerned with what's on the outside. It is absolutely true that the
package is what sells the book. At the same time, we employ several
dozen full time editors, because we know that what's inside is what
really counts. It's also what sells the book again -- in other words,
what gives it "word-of-mouth." A lot of editors think that people should
buy based on content, and they get frustrated by the attention given to
package. But the package is what gets the good content in front of
people for consideration.

> I believe that the more people that use FreeBSD, the better it will
> become.  More users = more support from hardware manufactures =
> easier installations = more users.  And the first step is to present
> an image that corporations have no problem being connected with.

I agree with you, but there are always those who think that more users
is bad, that it waters down the quality of the software or the
community. I only think that is true if you let people become committers
who are not absolutely top-notch well-qualified people, or if you lose
your focus and start chasing every fluffy feature. As the community
grows, sure there will be more newbies around, but there will also be
more journeymen around to field their questions and vet their bug
reports. Having more people using the system doesn't diminish its
capabilities, but in fact increases its leverage. That is good both from
a technical _and_ a marketing standpoint.
--
harrison@tbc.net