Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:45:09 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
Cc:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no dirty bufs panics any more...

Another comment and a question:

Has anyone tried manually unmounting an MFS filesystem?  Does the
system panic?

Looking at ffs_unmount(), defined by MFS for MFS unmounts, it calls
ffs_flusfiles().  My question is, why flush files in an MFS
filesystem in the first place?  They'll be gone once the MFS
filesystem is unmounted anyway.  Mind you, I haven't seriously
considered the possibility of an MFS filesystem being union mounted
on top of some other filesystem like UFS or NFS.  Even then changes
made to existing files would be written to the MFS filesystem and
be lost once the filesystem has been unmounted, so it may not be
anything to worry about.  Since I don't fully understand all of the
ramifications of what I'm suggesting, maybe one of the FreeBSD
wizards might want to clue me in to what's really going on under
the covers.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC