Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 17:09:13 -0500
From:      "Dave" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        "Jeff Fisher" <jeff@jeffenstein.org>, "Mike Dewhirst" <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: postgresql start

>The scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are designed to be run as root.  You'll
>either need to run this script at root (which will be done automatically at a
>reboot), or start postgres manually as you do below.

Try this on for size...   recently during a reboot (first in about 3 months for
this particular server) our entire rc.d directory failed to start...  after some
hacking of the rc file to output some helpful debuggin, it was apparent that the
010.pgsql.sh script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d was timing out and causing any
directives thereafter not to be processed.

Running the script manually as root starts the postmaster but doesn't return you
to the command prompt. ^C and checking the errlog shows

Waiting for postmaster starting up..DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at
Sat Mar  9 17:05:45 2002
DEBUG:  Data Base System was shut down at Sat Mar  9 17:05:39 2002
DEBUG:  Data Base System is in production state at Sat Mar  9 17:05:45 2002
Fast Shutdown request at Sat Mar  9 17:05:48 2002
DEBUG:  Data Base System shutting down at Sat Mar  9 17:05:48 2002
DEBUG:  Data Base System shut down at Sat Mar  9 17:05:48 2002

Can force it to return to command prompt by adding a "&" and doublt cr

web1# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start &
[1] 4635
web1#
[1]  + Suspended (tty output)        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start
web1#

and postgres stays up and frees the terminal.  Output in errlog for this is...

Waiting for postmaster starting up..DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at
Sat Mar  9 17:07:21 2002
DEBUG:  Data Base System was shut down at Sat Mar  9 17:05:48 2002
DEBUG:  Data Base System is in production state at Sat Mar  9 17:07:21 2002

No idea what could be causing the script not to function as it is the EXACT same
script as on the other servers we are operating (did a diff just to be sure)

In the interim we removed the script from the startup dir...   any ideas as to
why this is occuring?

Installed from port, left the port startup script as is.

Dave