Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:53:19 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

At 5:07 PM +0300 3/5/02, Eugene L. Vorokov wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a small problem. I work for software development company and
>write daemons and console tools for Unix. My boss wants everything
>to be written in C++, because he thinks C++ is cool. I prefer C
>for such tasks, but I cannot really put good arguments of why and
>where C++ can be worse than C. I know many of you prefer C too.
>Can you please explain some disadvantages of C++ comparing to C ?

Anyone who thinks C++ is some kind of magic bullet because "it is
cool" is just fooling themselves.  You may be able to do some great
stuff in C++, but only if you take the time to really learn the
language, and it's pitfalls (so you know what to avoid).

I prefer C over C++ because there is less there to "really learn".

but this is probably one of those personal-preference things which
is impossible for any one side to prove their position to any other
side...