Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 20:42:16 +1100
From:      Marc Moderegger <marc@mindandmachine.com.au>
To:        "'freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Boot Pause on AMD486 CPU

Any help most appreciated!

I've been trying to install FreeBSD onto an AMD486/50 base system.

The problem is when booting the system, the kernel loads and then announces the version of FreeBSD and the general info of its compilation eg, Date, time and who compiled it. It then pauses for more than 20 minutes...after which the boot process continues on its merry way. Everything then seems to work fine.

Are there any compatability problems with the AMD486/50, and what is the boot process doing during that pause (is it scanning for cpu - as this is the next line that comes up [what cpu I'm using - I486DX])?

Is there anything I can do to stop this pause from happening? It doesn't happen when I boot of the install floppy...

Thanks in advance,

Marc