Date:      Sat, 09 Mar 2002 22:15:26 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        joe@jwebmedia.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot system

Joseph Koenig wrote:

>I have a new Dell 1500ST. CHARLES with an 18GB RAID 1 - 1.13 GHz, 512MB
>RAM. The installation goes fine, but when I try and boot I get:
>
>Manual root filesystem specification:
>
>mountroot>
>
>I can see that the two slices are being detected just fine, the Raid
>card is being detected. This is 4.5-RELEASE. Ideas anyone?

I think we probably need some more information about what is going on.
What other messages are displayed when you try and boot? Any errors?
Where did you put your / slice?

>On a side
>note, what does the RELEASE tag mean? I know the difference between
>STABLE and CURRENT, but where does RELEASE fall? All I can find is into
>on STABLE and CURRENT.

A RELEASE is just a partiular point along the -STABLE line. Perodically,
the Release Engineering folks put -stable into a code freeze where only
fixes to existing functionality are allowed and after a few weeks a new
release is tagged, compiled and then made available on CD-ROM and from
all the FTP mirrors.

Andrew.