Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 15:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Caputo <ccaputo@alt.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1-stable: "vnode_pager_input: I/O read error" messages

On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Hi.  Does anyone have any insight into what these messages really mean or
> > what the fix is (besides going to 2.2-stable ;-)?  They seem to come in
> > spurts - none for a few days, then some for a few hours, then none for a
> > few days, etc.
>
> The error message means exactly what it says; an I/O read error
> (probably hardware) has occurred.
>
> This normally means that (surprise, surprise) you have harware problems.
> Are there any error messages coming from your disk controller?

Nope, no messages from the bt or sd device drivers.  No other kernel
messages besides these.  No system crashes happening either.

> Sometimes RAM faults can cause these symptoms as well.

Possibly, but since the faults are isolated in a specific code area and
come and go, I doubt it.

> > It does not appear that we actually have a hardware problem (disks check
> > out, controller checks out, etc.).
>
> What do you mean by "check out"?

Meaning no SCSI errors spewed by the kernel and no problems using
filesystems on them.

Funny thing is the problem will happen for a few hours one day and than go
for days without happening, and return, and then stop, etc.

Thanks,
Chris