Date:      Wed, 15 May 2013 22:35:00 -0300
From:      Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj@gmail.com>, freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Mikrotik RB751G-2HnD

On 15 May 2013 22:02, Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 16 May 2013 12:34, Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8 May 2013 19:20, Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi all. I've recently noticed that FreeBSD is quite well supported on
> >> MIPS routers. I myself own Mikrotik RouterBoard RB751G-2HnD (specs on
> >> http://routerboard.com/RB751G-2HnD ). It seems to be supported. So, is
> >> there anyone running FreeBSD on this specific model or a similar one?
> >> Can I get some how-to on installing FreeBSD? One thing bugs me, most
> >> of these supported routers have 16-64MB flash. How is FreeBSD supposed
> >> to fit in that? Is some USB drive required? Thanks, Piotr Kubaj.
> >>

> > Hi Piotr,
> >
> > Well, its kind of supported but there is no driver for the NAND on it,
> > which means you can boot from NAND yet.
>
> I understand RouterBOOT expects /kernel on a yaffs filesystem. There
> is no yaffs support so could u-boot be written there from Linux and
> chainload FreeBSD?

Yes, it is possible but we would need an appropriate uboot for it.

But we don't need to do that, we can simply create a yaffs image (with
mkyaffs2) and write it to NAND.

I'd it working on RB450 once and it boots just fine. If i remember
correctly we can easily create a port for mkyaffs[2].

One thing that would be nice about the uboot is remove the 4MB limitation
for the kernel 'slice', but the good thing is that RouterBOOT can read a
gzipped kernel.

Luiz