Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:01:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        William L Stube II <wlstube@lssaa.wisc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not-so-stable

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, William L Stube II wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD 4.8-Release machine that I upgraded from a 4.5 or 4.4
> machine.  It works just great for about 9 days, then processes will not
> die.  It starts to become a problem when I can't kill processes, restart
> services, connections hang, and I can't reboot or shutdown, I have to do
> a hard reset.

I have seen something like this on a 4.7 box that I tracked to a drive
with a swap partition going out to lunch.  Unfortunately that drive also
had /var on it, so no logging info was ever written.

The drive (IDE) would always come back with a reboot, but after a few days
would exhibit timeout errors (AIRC).

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia