Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 22:09:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <dunham@rider.fc.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Subject:   Need help upgrading to larger disk

Well, I'm in over my head again and sure could use some help.  I have a
little-used notebook running FreeBSD, and I'd like to make more use of
it.  First, though, I'd like to take advantage of an opportunity to
upgrade the hard drive in it from the current .5 GB to a .8 GB, but I
need to do it rather quickly so as to free up the .5 for use elsewhere
(otherwise the .8 gets used there).  This may be easy for some of you,
but it's not immediately obvious to me how to go about it.  I've poked
around in the Handbook and in Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD" but
didn't stumble across anything that really covered my situation.  Here's
what I've got to work with:

	A LapLink cable

	A Dell Latitude LX I built from leftover parts running FreeBSD,
	containing the .5 GB drive

	Another Latitude LX I built from leftover parts running Windoze

	An empty 810 MB hard drive

	This here desktop machine running FreeBSD, connected to the net,
	with an attached SCSI CD-ROM drive (I have the Walnut Creek CD-
	ROM), a SCSI 525 tape drive, and nonworking floppy drives

	FreeBSD 2.1.5 on both FreeBSD machines

What complicates this is that the notebooks have no SCSI capability, and
only one each floppy and hard drives.

My assumption is that I ought to be able to put the blank .8 drive in the
Windoze notebook, boot from a floppy containing a minimal FreeBSD,
connect the two notebooks with the LapLink cable (using either the serial
or the parallel ports), and suck all the contents of the .5 drive over to
the .8.  I have no idea how to do this, though I could do it easily on my
old Atari (but then that was SCSI).

I have successfully formatted a UFS floppy on the FreeBSD notebook, but
can't find boot.flp on the hard drive to try sticking it on the formatted
floppy.  I assume that I could use the LapLink cable between the FreeBSD
notebook and my desktop machine to suck the needed file(s) off of the
CD-ROM, but have never done that before.  If someone could tell me what
bare minimum set of files to copy to the UFS floppy to boot and transfer
the files, perhaps I won't need to involve the CD-ROM drive.

This is further complicated by my need to do this by Friday morning or
give up and let the .8 drive go on to other uses that the .5 could serve
equally well.  Surely, this can't be difficult, and must be something
that others have faced when upgrading as well.  Or does everyone else
just reinstall from scratch every time (something I've never done)?
Assume that I have no idea what I'm doing and you won't be wrong.

Thanks for any assistance y'all can provide.

--
Jerry Dunham                      GS650G                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

  Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.