Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:23:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1415

Steve Passe écrit / writes:
> Hi,
>
> >	They are :-) Comments and critics welcome.

> reading this I saw many things that I disagree with, however thinking
> about them I realized that its not so much a matter of "right way vs.
> wrong way", but just different outlooks.

	Well,  I'd be interested  in  your points of   view -- some of  the
	things in there   are  plain common   sense  or luck with   working
	configurations I've setup --  so any technically valid improvements
	are accepted (No,  dunking  the mainboard in freon   to cool it  is
	*not* valid) :-)

> >    mind, not fault tolerance.   To start with,  try and avoid all forms of
> >    "small tower" designs,  as they have a tendency  to double as  ovens --
> my approach is to ALWAYS use mini-towers, but NEVER put your disks in them.
> the general design of most cabinets is such that you don't get good airflow
> around the disk area, no matter what you do.  put the disks in external
> cabinets! (not so easy with IDE disks!)

	Yes, and moreover  using external cabinets  with low-quality cables
	increases risks (bus resets, device timeouts, etc...).

> >    o always terminate  both ends of  the bus with  the right terminator --
> >      this means  SCSI-I (big  centronics-type  connector) terminators  for
> >      SCSI-I busses (also known as passive terminators), and SCSI-II (small
> >      connector)   for   busses    containing   SCSI-II    devices  (active
> >      terminators);
> you can get SCSI-I terminators in both passive and active versions.  this
> is also true of SCSI-II and SCSI-III.
> I would discuss the issue of connectors:
>  SCSI-I -> 50 pin centronics
>  SCSI-II -> 50 pin half pitch
>  SCSI-III -> 68 pin half pitch

	Right on that one.

> >    o  internal termination by  the drives/devices themselves (i.e.: jumper
> >      activated)  should be avoided -- use  clip-on terminators that fit on
> >      the ribbon cable like any device;
> why so, modern drives provide active termination, one less connector to
> cause problems...

	Because I've seen flaky such terminators, including reports here in
	-hackers:  whether the jumper  was in or  not, there would still be
	problems (no probe, timeouts, hanging at boot).

	Also, it  happens that you  forget to terminate the new replacement
	disk when you   swap out  the  first disk  on  the  cable.  Without
	mentioning when you insert  a terminated  disk  in the middle of  a
	chain  :-) So  you just get   one  of those  long  7 connector SCSI
	ribbons and snap a  terminator on one  end.  As I said, it's mostly
	handy tips, I'm not forcing anyone to  go and buy such a terminator
	if they don't have one.

								-- Phil

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kärve or nøt to kärve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-