Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 15:47:32 +1000
From:      Andrew <mynet@uq.net.au>
To:        bob olbrich <rjob@gulftel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup device recommendations

You can buy 13 gig IDE hard  drives for next to nothing now.
these are great for backing up on especialy if you put them in another
box.

If you need off site backup then nothing beats a cd writer for
convinience
as you can restore data using any CD rom drive and do it quickly . Also
you know your data is safe because it cant be overwriten.

You could back everything up on CD's and then just write the changes to
a cd using mulitsession or packet writing.

Cheap tape drives seams to be nothing but trouble and when you want
to restore something it either takes hours or you dont get it back at
all.

The high end  SCSI tape backup units such as the DAT drives seam to be
good though
but rather expensive.

Hope this helps

Andrew