Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2014 17:15:51 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Improving /etc/motd and ANSI

--Apple-Mail=_915E61AF-6F44-4602-A758-F6C844F0E0C6

On Sep 6, 2014, at 5:01 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> /etc/motd has been in need of improvement for some time.  Recently, I =
did a rewrite:
>=20
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/motd/motd
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/motd/motd.diff
>=20
> This new version still has the problem of using "in-band" quote marks =
to mark up the commands.  We tell the reader to run `man man', for =
example, but it's not particularly obvious that the quotes should not be =
entered.
>=20
> As an experiment, this version uses ANSI underline escape sequences:
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/motd/motd.ansi
>=20
> That reads better, is less likely to be misunderstood, and will work =
on normal consoles and most terminal emulations in use today.
>=20
> It will not display correctly on things that do not understand =
VT100/VT220 or ANSI codes, but I suspect that is a vanishingly small =
portion of the user base.  Those users are also likely to be familiar =
with the problem.
>=20
> Is there some showstopper reason not to commit this ANSI version?

It embeds the notion that all the world is a VT100 and interprets the =
ANSI escape code identically.

In years past, this definitely wasn=92t the case. But in those years we =
had many different breeds
of terminal roaming the earth, and these terminals were all somewhat =
different (even at the same
installation you=92d have a heterogeneous setup because different =
departments got different
vendors to supply their gear). These changes would break that. One of =
the nice things about
Unix has always been it played very nicely in a heterogeneous =
environment and all fancy
smancy curses action was done through a layer of indirection so it would =
work everywhere,
unlike VMS where things were more hard-coded and it was always hard to =
use non-DEC
gear.

It also assumes that all users want to see the fancy ANSI version with =
underlines and such. While
rather innocuous, one needn=92t look any farther than gnu=92s color ls =
to see what madness lies not
too far down this path.

Finally, console scraping code may be affected in some minor way and =
you=92ll wind up with
text that looks weird.

None of these are huge show-stoppers. But it is a very nice camel=92s =
nose at the moment, and
I=92d hate to see the rest of the camel=85[*]

Warner

[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel's_nose