Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:54:05 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new sup server

If you run a mirror and are NOT on freebsd-hubs, get your butt on there
please.

Freefall updates its trees at 1:00, 7:00, 13:00, and 19:00 pacific time.
It makes sense for other mirrors to attempt to start SUP operations
at least an HOUR after Freefall /starts/ its update, to insure it has
completed.

sup2's schedule is currently 2:10, 8:10, 14:10, and 20:10,  4 times a day.

I would suggest that we coordinate as follows, to avoid overloading the T1
to freefall:

Here's my proposal, it's just a proposal, feel free to improve upon it.

SUP windows start 1 hour + ((your mirror number - 1) * 10 minutes).

e.g.  [ALL TIMES PACIFIC TIME]

	sup2	2:10	8;10	13:10	20:10
	sup3	2:20	8:20	13:20	20:20
	sup4	2:30	8:30	13:30	20:30
	sup5	2:40	8:40	13:40	20:40
	sup6	2:50	8:50	13:50	20:50

4 times a day may be excessive, in which case, pick 1 two or 3 times.
/Preferably/ we should work with our adjacent neighbors to do the right
thing.  If you want to sup outside the 100 minute window (assuming 10
mirrors) then do it whenever you want.  This is just to avoid contention
for that precious time right after freefall does its updates.

Here's an example of neighbor coordination, in the following example,
sup3 and sup4 choose sup windows that would cause them to never overlap.

	sup2	2:10	8;10	13:10	20:10		4x
	sup3	2:20		13:20			2x
	sup4		8:30	13:30			2x
	sup5	2:40	8:40		20:40		3x
	sup6			13:50			1x

I would /strongly/ reccomend people in general avoid the "on the hour"
timeslot (except for sup7).

I suspect that Jordan will be trimming off sup's from non-official-mirror
sites real soon now to reduce the load on freefall and the T1.

Ministry of Information