Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 13:46:34 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        David Mundstock <davidmundstock@msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 12:35:41PM -0700, David Mundstock wrote:
> Dear Free BSD,
>
> I am not a technical person, and don't understand many of the terms on your site.
>
> My hobby is making amateur travel videos as "The Intrepid Berkeley Explorer".  These films play on Berkeley Cable TV Channel 25.
>
> My goal is to stream some or all of my films on the internet.  I can convert them to digital and hopefully into an appropriate format to be uploaded.  I have DSL.
>
> Now I need a server for streaming video.  I have no idea if you do this or not.  If not, perhaps you can refer me to an appropriate server that will tolerate a non-technical, non-commercial amateur.
>
> If FreeBSD includes video, I would need a very simple English translation in order to understand how to utilize your service.
>
> Thanks for being out there.
>
> David Mundstock

Hi David,

Some time ago I used the RealMedia server under FreeBSD. It requires
just a base setup of the FreeBSD system and the software from Real.
Only disadvantage might be that it's a commercial product, but it seems
to work best for most video's and has a bit better quality then other
solutions.

If your interested you should check www.real.com for more info about it.
You'll need to get the server for freebsd (http://www.realnetworks.com/products/servers/plus/index.html?UK=X) and the realproducer for windows to create
your media files.