Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:19:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Joe Shevland <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/release/sysinstall needs YOU. :-)

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Joe Shevland wrote:

> What are peoples' thoughts on a Java administration tool for FreeBSD? One
> instant downside would be you'd need an X Server running for any GUI
> options. Another would be you'd need the Java runtime environment (BTW,
> this is my first posting, so please flame me gently if I'm in the wrong
> discussion!).
>
> Thoughts?

Better than a web/form-based admin tool.  I find both Netscape and BSDI's
administration interfaces using frames/html/forms very frustrating to use
:).  I had considered working on a Java-based interface, but currently our
configuration is relatively non-standard for user-management (Kerberos,
non-standard passwd/group distribution with signatures, etc), making such
a tool un-useful for anyone else :).

The lack of a text-interface is a problem though; if the Java interface
accessed another admin daemon, which then interfaced to scripts to perform
the management activities, this might actually be alright; anyone could
write a front-end for the scripts and retain functionality (and similarly,
people wouldn't have to modify the java management program to make small
admin changes).

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/