Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 17:46:34 -0500
From:      "Michael A. Urban" <mds@usa.nai.net>
To:        <Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Booting from Hard Disk!

I have an HP Vectra VL4 Tower with an Adaptec 1542 Host Adapter and a DEC
1GB SCSI HD along with a 4x Toshiba SCSI CDROM.  Diagnostics show the host
adapter and HD to be fine.  I am actually able to complete the installation
without any snags.  The entire drive is being used for FreeBSD and I've
tried new installations with and without the Boot Manager.  The problem I
get on boot is "No Operating System Found".  The partition is set to active
and bootable.

I took the SCSI HD out of the system and put IDE in.  Get through the
entire install with no errors.  The BIOS is not set to protect the boot
track.  On boot I get "Read Error".  If I put the bootdisk in and type
sd(0,a)kernel at the boot: the system boots up fine off the IDE drive.  If
I do the same thing off the SCSI Drive (with IDE disabled in BIOS) I get a
continously scrolling column up the left side of the screen showing the
device numbers but not boot up.

Please Help.

Desperate Systems Engineer,
Michael