Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:46:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chrisy@flix.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharable static arrays?

> > Ideally, all static data should be mapped copy-on-write.  I don't
> > think it's mapped, at this point; it probably needs a seperate ELF
> > section from the rest of data, to (1) force it to a page boundry
> > for it's mapping and (2) allow it to have seperate section flags to
> > indicate it should be treated as copy-on-write.
>
> Is it possible with a.out?  (Yes, I know, I should learn more about
> the object file formats, does anybody have good pointers?)

Sean pointed out that he thinks the original poster wanted shared
memory that could be declared in a program.  What we used to call
a "Monitor Common Block" back in the old FORTRAN days.

If you want to make a distinction between static and static global,
I still say you need a different section ID for the thing.

No, a.out does not support multiple sections.  Yes, there is a weird
way to get this stuff in.  You can make the a.out image bigger than
the a.out header says it is, and put a header there.  That's what the
"splashkit" stuff does.

It's also what LISP and FORTH tend  to do, if they are written right,
in order to put "precompiled code" out there.  So there are possible
conflicts.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---