Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 13:47:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mikebo@tellabs.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, mikebo@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triton-II support... when?

> I understand that the new Triton-II chipset will be making its debut
> on system boards around the end of March. I've heard it will provide for
> an ~5% memory access speed gain, plus concurrent access to PCI and ISA
> busses (whatever that buys me). Perhaps someone else can explain these
> things better than I, and put the purported benefits of Triton-II into
> perspective for us non-chipset-savvy buyers.
>
> I was about to upgrade a 486/50 to a 133Mhz Endevour. My questions are:
> o  What will Triton-II really buy me?

It fixes the cache writeback bug in the Triton-I.

> o  Is it worth a 4-6 week wait for Triton-II main boards to arrive?

Is working hardware better than broken hardware?  8-).

> o  Will FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE boot/run on Triton-II main boards as-is?

Will FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE boot/run on a P5 without the floating point
bug?  The question is basically a non-sequitur -- there is no function
difference in the chipsets except the Triton-II happens to work.

> o  If not, how long will it be before Triton-II support is added to
>    the FreeBSD kernel?

FreeBSD supports the Triton chipset.  Since the difference between the
I and II is the cache bug is fixed in the II, I can't see where fixing
a bug could make it not run.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---