Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 18:05:18 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, ct@ct.heise.de
Subject:   Re: Testimonial

Marco Molteni wrote:

> > I suspect the best thing would be to frequent the english articles
> > posted on their web site. The fact people bother to hunt them down
> > and read their stuff would be the best way to indicate a demand
> > for their product.
>
> Yes, this could be an idea, although I do hate reading articles on
> my web browser instead of reading them on paper. Now that I think
> about it, the reason could be that I have a dial-up connection to
> the Internet and that here in Italy we pay urban calls on a per minute
> basis :-(

Well, you don't have to *read* them, just trip their counters. :-)
I'm using a script and wget to yank Dilbert every day and file him away
in my personal archive. Much faster than letting a browser do it, then
manually saving the image. Much faster for viewing later, too.

> > Don't know how much good English would do for Marco in Itay, but he
> > sure handles English better than I would Italian.
>
> Well, I do hope this is a compliment ;-). Maybe you David forget
> that *all* the documentation on FreeBSD and/or computer science is
> in english, so we "foreigners" have to know it.
>
> By the way, I like english, it's very terse compared to others
> languages. If I read a technical paper, I know about 98-99% of the words.
> If I read Time, well, I need a dictionary nearby, if I listen to an
> american, well, maybe one or two beers could help ... ;-)
>
> > About all the Italian I know are "Ferrari" and "Michael
> > Schumacher". :-)
>
> I can't believe you! What about pizza, spaghetti, paparazzo ? ;-)

I thought those were American fake-Italian? Besides, the F-1 races are
shown here early Sunday mornings. Pancake time. A bit too early for pizza,
unless its cold leftovers from Saturday night.

Besides, *I* thought claiming "Michael Schumacher" was Italian was a
good pun, considering we were talking about the *German* magazine c't.
(FYI: Michael is German, except for tax purposes.)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net