Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 05:11:53 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015585913.e914ba@mired.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Olaf=20Hoyer?= <ohoyer@yahoo.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sftp scp musings

Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@yahoo.de> types:
> Problem: My users in my department are mosty working
> under Windoze, repectively do not know how to operate
> a commandline, they only acept things that have a
> point-and-click-interface ;-((
>
> (Yeah, stupid ones... But moving them to a webserver
> with some tradeoffs is better wo work under winblows
> with about 5 Gig of historically grown data (before I
> was employed) and being 3 Gig of them macrohorrified
> Excel/Word crap...
>
> So, anyway, for windows a nice GUI client (WinSCP) is
> available, which does nicely under FreeBSD (tested
> with 4.3 and 4.4), running smooth with a tcsh and
> bash.
> (WinSCP manual states that bash is required) Under
> RedHat 7.2, only bash will work, tcsh gives bad
> hickup...

It works fine on 4-STABLE with /bin/sh as the shell. At least, it does
for my short tests. I was using WinSCP2, though.

> Does anyone knows of a GUI sftp-capable client, or
> another win32-gui method of encrypted file transfer?

Try WinSCP2, probably available wherever you got WinSCP. If not, try
PuttyGEN as well, and generate a key pair. Save the private key where
WinSCP2 can get it, and you get the public key, and put in
~/.ssh/authorized_keys a line like:

no-pty,no-port-forwarding <key data>

And in vipw make their password "*". That way, they can click on
WinSCP2 and get a file<->file interface, or configure it to get an
"explorer" interface, but nobody can log into the account via a
shell. That should make both them and you happy.

	<mike