Date:      Sun, 07 May 2000 22:21:54 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel build number in 4.0-STABLE

Dan O'Connor wrote:

> Is there an *official* kernel build method that increments properly? I
> assume that the 3.x manual method is depricated now...
>
> If the ''make buildkernel installkernel' method is indeed the new, improved,
> preferred method, is there any plan to get this working correctly?

I always assumed that the ''make buildkernel installkernel'' method was
necessary for the FIRST build of 4.0 upgrading from 3.x.

Now that I have 4.0 installed, I have gone back to the /usr/sbin/config KERNEL;
cd ../../compile/KERNEL; make depend; make; make install method, which works
fine.

This seems to increment properly (unless I add the -r option to config,
which sometimes I do.)

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu