Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:26:25 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Daniel Harris <dannyboy@subdimension.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with ppp in 3.4-RELEASE

Daniel Harris wrote:

> I use Slackware Linux, but on the advice of some friends I got rid of an
> unused MS-DOS partition and added FreeBSD.  So far I've been extremely
> impressed by the speed and stability.
>
> My problem: I can't get PPP to work.  Without access to the internet any
> system is fairly useless to me.
>
> First I tried setting up user ppp.  I set it up correctly, or so it
> seemed.  However, when I dial, ppp doesn't seem to be getting the
> CONNECT from my modem.  I assume that CONNECT is being sent by the modem
> because Linux and Win98 don't have any problems catching it.  Since the
> chatscript doesn't get the expected CONNECT, it times out and dies.
>
> Next, I tried kernel ppp.  I installed KDE and used kppp.  It hangs when
> it is trying to initialize the modem -- doesn't get the OK after its
> ATZ.
>
> Both problems seem to be caused by bad communication from the modem to
> the software.  Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Well, for starters, you have to tell /etc/ppp/ppp.conf which com port
your modem is on. You didn't say if it was an external. Mine is on
com2, which is /dev/cuaa1. If your ISP uses a simple setup, you add
your user name and password on the line you add for set login. I use
pmdemand setup.

Most of this you can do interactively by reading the ppp primer and
issuing the commands from the ppp> prompt. The choices depend and
whether you have a static IP address or dynamic. When you get it
right, it dials very quickly.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA