Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 17:48:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. the rest of the world, poor OS comparison on web p

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> > Not sure if linux has a network install package however I couldn't
> > find it.
>
> Have you uncovered a *LINUX* limitation or a *Slackware* limitation? Since
> when did the Linux kernel dictate installation technique?
>
> When itemizing the great things about FreeBSD and the shortcomings of Linux
> and its many distributions, we need to keep the facts strictly honest else
> we demonstrate we don't really know what we're saying about Linux.

There is _VERY_ little bad you can say about Linux because it isn't an OS;
a distribution is an OS, but Linux itself isn't really.

If you say "Linux doesn't do bar", you get "oh, but distribution x which
is in my basement and no one can use does".  Along the same lines, all you
have to do to say "Linux does foo, but you OS doesn't!" is show one Linux
distribution somewhere that does it.

Nothing necessarily bad about that, it just means "fair" comparisons are
difficult and take a lot of effort because you have to itemize every major
distribution.