Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:12:13 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: profile manager for FreeBSD working in different environments ?

According to Andreas Klemm:
> When running FreeBSD on a Laptop, I'd whish to have a profile
> manager active, who asks me, what FreeBSD configuration I want
> to boot.

What I did when I had my SunOS laptop (a Tadpole S2 then S3) was a set of
scripts and config. files in order to switch from one configuration to another
*without* rebooting. I hate rebooting a laptop when it can hibernate :-)

I intend to do that again (although I have the old setup somewhere) for my new
laptop (a Sony VAIO Z505SX some people have seen in FreeBSDcon :-)).

> What do you think of this ?

No reboot should be necessary IMO. Using a set of appropriate rc.d/* files
with a master one calling the others with "start" and "stop" should do the
trick. Having "hostname" returning a short name (no domain) and a suitably
edited /etc/hosts (generated for each config) that gives you the FQDN works
fine.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #74: Thu Sep  9 00:20:51 CEST 1999