Date:      Sun, 4 Dec 2011 12:27:18 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:06:29 +0100
Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

> Why do I get a warning if I use freebsd-update about a renewal of my
> FreeBSD installation within the next two months because after that
> time it will nog be supported anymore?
> I run FreeBSD-release-p4. Freebsd-update 'sees' p3. Is this the cause?

No

$ uname -r
8.2-RELEASE-p4

In the above 8.2 is the release and p4 means that it's the fourth update
on the 8.2 security branch.

freebsd-update is warning you that your release will soon be
unsupported, so there will be no more security updates. You need to
update to a supported release.

 http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html