Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 20:00:01 -0700
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   _ANSI_SOURCE vs. _ANSI_C_SOURCE

Hey -hackers,

I am wondering why some operating systems use the macro _ANSI_SOURCE
while others (ie Linux) use _ANSI_C_SOURCE to indicate that the source
compiled is ANSI-compliant (and similarly with _POSIX_SOURCE and
_POSIX_C_SOURCE). I have neither copies of the ANSI nor POSIX spec,
and I don't see any mention of either of these in APUE. So I'm
guessing these are sort of de-facto macros that are being used. Can
somebody shed some light on why these are different, and why some have
the _C in the middle?

--
farooq <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>