Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:44:35 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Sigi <sigi@remsmurr.de>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (3) UserPPP Problem by hang up

[.....]
> >I don't understand the problem here.  Being part of group network
> >enables you to run ppp -direct and nothing else.  It shouldn't
> >interfere with any other setup.
>
> It's a problem of my own insatllation not of the error or problem
> that the ppp doesn't work right on this new installation. For some
> work I could check the user GID to give hime some rights for
> something to do. Now I can't do it anyway because all users have the
> same GID "network". This I'm meaning. But it's not the problem, how I
> said.

You don't have to change your users GID, just add them to group network
in /etc/group, for example:

$ id
uid=10003(dummy) gid=10003(dummy) groups=69(network)

> >> Thanks. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.
> >
> >How have you got things set up ?  Are you exec'ing ppp - ie, the ppp
> >-direct process should have a parent process id of 1.
> >
> >I'm assuming that this is over a modem link too.  If you still can't
> >get it working, send me the details.
>
> You can get it, I seem it is a normal installation:
> --- /etc/passwd ---
> dummy:*:10003:69::0:0:Dummy:/home/dumy/./:/usr/local/bin/ppplogin
> --- /usr/local/bin/ppplogin ---
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl
> $USER = $ENV{"USER"};
> $COMPORT = ...;   # it's a little longer ;-)
> $OUT = $USER; or $OUT = $COMPORT;   # with a little check between
> exec "/usr/sbin/ppp -direct $OUT";
> --- /etc/ppp/ppp.conf ---
> default:
>   disable pap
>   deny pap
>   disable chap
>   deny chap
>   disable lqr
>   deny lqr
>   disable pred1
>   deny pred1
>   disable passwdauth
>   enable msext
>   set log chat phase LCP IPCP
>   set timeout 300   # after this timeout the connection goes down
>
> dummy:
>   set ifaddr mydomain userdomain
>   enable proxy
> ttyd0:
>   set ifaddr mydomain ttydomain
>   enable proxy
> --- /etc/ttys ---
> ttyd0  "/usr/libexec/getty ehh"  ansi  on  insecure
> --- /etc/gettytab ---
> ehh|EHH Datalink Modem:\
>   :np:hw:to#40:ct#30:rt#900:sp#57600:\
>   :ic="" +++ "" "\p\p\p\pATH0\r" OK\r ATM0L0E1Q0V1&K3\r OK\r:\
>   :ac=RING\r ATA\r CONNECT:
> --- /etc/rc.serial ---
> modem() {
>   ci=$1; shift
>   co=$1; shift
>   for i in $* do
>     comcontrol /dev/tty$ci$i dtrwait 60 drainwait 10
>     stty </dev/ttyi$ci$i -clocal crtscts 57600 cs8 hupcl -istrip
>     stty </dev/ttyl$ci$i -clocal crtscts 57600 cs8 hupcl -istrip
>     stty </dev/cuai$ci$i -clocal crtscts 57600 cs8 hupcl -istrip
>     stty </dev/cual$ci$i -clocal crtscts 57600 cs8 hupcl -istrip
>   done
> --- /dev ---
> tunx ..., cuax ..., ttydx ...
> --- snip end ---
>
> >There's info in the FAQ
> >
> >  http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/userppp.html
> >
> >about what log levels to set etc.
>
> I read it bevor. Logging is Ok.
> Log-Level is not the same as Function-Level, or?  ;-)
> But PPP doesn't receive the line down to terminate the process.

Can you send me a copy of your log file, with the following settings:

  set log chat connect command phase lcp ipcp ccp debug

We should be able to see if the CD detection routine is being called
correctly.  You must also make sure that your modem doesn't "fake"
carrier.  It would be good if you could indicate when carrier was
actually lost too.

Thanks.

[.....]

--