Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 18:17:56 +0100
From:      "Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley" <hxpro@cinesite.co.uk>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulating a SCSI tape device ...

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> I think the only controllers that we support target mode for now are the
> Adaptec 7890 and probably the 7895.  Justin would know for sure.  I think
> some of the Qlogic boards support target mode as well, I don't know if Matt
> has gotten the hooks in the driver yet.
>
> The practicality of doing something like this would depend on what you're
> trying to use to write the data.  It would probably be a good bit easier to
> write the data over a network to the FreeBSD box, if that's possible.

I'm unable to do this, otherwise I'd just use one of our SGIs (which
can't easily be put into target mode BTW). I'm basically talking about a
data rate of a few MB/s (max circa 10MB/s I think) from a film scanner,
each file is written in tar format to tape, with files generally 12MB in
size, although 100MB+ are possible.  Normally we'd use either SONY DTF
GY-2120 (12 MB/s) or Ampex DST (15+MB/s) tape drives, but because of the
lack of streaming from such a low data rate, and the tape drives not
having a big enough RAM buffer, the tape drives get quite a bit of wear
on them. Using a DLT 7000, of a Mamouth Drive, have a different problem,
they slow the scanner down due to the seek times.

I thought that an emulation system would just plug in place of one of
the tape drives.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley             | These are the opinions of nobody   |
| Technical Services Manager | and are not shared by my employers |