Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:41:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        Dale Chulhan - Work <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot create raw socket connections

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Dale Chulhan - Work wrote:

> Can you further assist me by expanding your reference to help me locate it?
>
> > There should be no problem with sending a TCP FIN on a raw socket.
> > But the returning RST will be eaten by the TCP protocol.  Your raw
> > socket will not receive it.  (ref: Stevens UNP v1, p 659)

Sure, the title is "Unix Network Programming" volume 1, second edition
by W. Richard Stevens.  ISBN 0-13-490012-X  (US$ 52.95 www.bookpool.com)

As another fellow mentioned earlier, this is where the collective
wisdom of network programming is kept :-)

When you get ready for kernel level network programming, get
"TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2".  There is no substitute.

-Richard