Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:13:47 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what are these characters please?

Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > In this particular case, the advice about non-printable ASCII
> > characters doesn't work,
>
> Yes, it does.
>
> > either, since it will only swallow the <ESC>, and not the rest
> > of the sequence or the terminator.
>
> Which is perfectly within the goal of turning the input stream into
> a validly encoded sequence.  That we are left with a handful of
> garbage characters instead of a single one is of no concern.

If you were intent on doing that, you'd convert it to an "a" with
a diaresis over it, since that's also a "validly encoded sequence".

Let's also be perfectly clear here: you are redefining validity to
suit a particular output processing tool.  This adds constraints
at the wrong place: if you are going to have such constraints,
make them on the commit message processing script, to reject commit
messages that don't fit within the arbitrary limitations imposed by
the relatively poor tools you are using.

-- Terry