Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 18:58:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   first bisdn prerelease runs stable here on -current (Teles 16.3)

Hi folks !

Here a short information about the status of ISDN support for
passive ISDN adapter like Teles and Creatix.

Last monday Hellmuth Michaelis, Arne Helme and Garry Jennejohn
announced their first pre-release of bisdn, which will be updated
about every week or so until the final release comes out.

The prerelease worked for me _rock solid_ for the last 6 days and
it is really great work. They support the Teles 16.0 and 16.3, as
well as the Creatix cards, that cost in Germany only DM 150, a
terminal adapter costs here about DM 750.-.

So it would be a big advantage to integrate ISDN support into
-current very soon.

Supported protocol is IP over HDLC. Channel bundling is not yet
supported. There is a rates file included in bisdn, that terminates
the ISDN connection before the new charge (Gebuehreneinheit) begins,
if there is no traffic, and it works really great.

It was developed on a FreeBSD-2.1 and a little patch from Gary
Jennejohn (and partly from me, he did it smarter ;-) makes it
run on FreeBSD-current.

In the moment I have to different sys-trees, so that I can
checkout -current without trouble (symlinked all other stuff).

I could show you now, that it's not too much work to get
ISDN stuff into -current:

a) modify MAKEDEV script
b) add 3 files to /etc:
	bisdnd.cfg	- global config file for the bisdnd connection manager
	bisdnd.rates	- rates config file (german example)
	rc.bisdnd	- bisdnd related startscript

c) modify four files in kernelland
	/usr/src/conf/files
	/usr/src/i386/conf/files.i386
	/usr/src/i386/conf/LINT
	/usr/src/i386/conf/GENERIC

d) add the following files in kernelland
	/usr/src/i386/isa/teles.c
	/usr/src/i386/include/bisdn_ioctl.h
	/usr/src/i386/include/bisdn_isdn.h
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_disdn.c
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_isdntel.c
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_isdnlap.h
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_isdnlap.c
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_isdnipi.c
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_isdn.h
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_isdn.c
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_disdn.h
	/usr/src/bisdn/b_isdntty.c

So, no big trouble in the kernel area ! It runs rock solid, no
crash so far !

e) Add the system utilities to the /usr/src/usr.sbin tree
	- bisdnd
	- bisdnlib
	- bisdntrc
	- rc.bisdn examples (1tr6, dss1)