Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 11:53:08 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Hans Petter Bieker <hanspb@persbraten.vgs.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Why dump to /var??

On Sun, Jan 04, 1998 at 02:02:51AM +0100, Hans Petter Bieker wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>> not enough free space? On which device? in my /var/crash directory?
>> Presumably, unless you've changed /etc/rc.
>
> Doesn't savecore know which partition it should dump to? if not -- how
> does it can it find out if the partition is full without trying to write?

It takes the directory name as a parameter.  Take a look in /etc/rc.

> $ mkdir /tmp/c
> /: write failed, file system is full
> mkdir: c: No space left on device

Boy, that *is* full.  Not even space for a directory block.

> is it possible to do something similar here? Or is this msg generated by
> the kernel?

The high-intensity messages are generated by the kernel.  But what do
you mean "something similar"?  Do you mean, can you put your /tmp file
system elsewhere?  Yes, you can.  Just do this:

# mkdir /home/tmp
# mv /tmp /TMP
# ln -s /home/tmp /tmp

At some later time, when you're sure you don't need anything in /TMP,
you can remove it and its contents.

Greg