Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:59:39 +0100
From:      Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVB/ATSC library?

> +1 ... I have a driver for PCI attached mantis cards. =A0It simply export=
s a
> buffer with the raw mpeg ts stream to userland where it also handles the
> frontend programming. =A0The missing link is something to make sense of t=
he mpeg
> ts stream.
>
> IMHO, the v4l2 api is terribly broken by design - as it mandates at least=
 one
> copy per ts-frame (possibly more than one), but as it is unlikely that we=
 will
> convince enough people to get behind a sensible API now, I'd also like to=
 have
> a lib that bridges the gap.

there's the DVB API available for DVB/ATSC
The v4l2 API is just to be used with analog TV (and some mpeg analog
grabbers .. this is a little bit messed up yes).
But clearly there's a separation.
Linux DVB has 2 APIs actually
* DVB API v3
* DVB API v5.x (DVB-S2 aka S2-API)

both APIs are fairly easy but VDR, Kaffeine and MythTV (not entirely
sure about MythTV) nowadays only support the S2-API only, it is very
easy to write a DVB API v5.0  to v3 wrapper.

Have you had a look at frontend.h of linuxtv? This is more or less the
most important API which you should support.
The section filtering/demux filtering in kernelspace is something I
would consider to be optional. BSD should definitely support it (best
is in userspace).

Markus