Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:25:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: list of fast modems?

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Daniel Ortmann wrote:

> Any recommendations for quick/reliable/common modems for under $200?

Modems are something that calls up religious type responses, so I expect
at least one person to tell me how dumb my suggestions are here ...

Anyhow, when it was time to buy another modem, I checked PC magazine, and
caught their modem review.  I was interested in two main things, what it's
error rate in noise was, and what it's tested intercompatibility was.  As
I remember, PC magazine disappointed me in not directly testing the error
rate versus noise (BER) but it did give the US Robotics modems pretty good
intercompatibilty ratings.

I've used Mutlitech modems, and personally tested their BER vs. noise
specs, and liked them.  I personally bought USR.  Maybe that tells you
something.

> Top 5?
>
> --
> Daniel Ortmann       507.288.7732 (h)  ortmann@isl.net
> 2414 30 av NW, #D    507.253.6795 (w)  ortmann@vnet.ibm.com
> Rochester, MN 55901  "PERL: The Swiss Army Chainsaw"

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |