Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:43:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Ben Turner <turnball_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        bsdq <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 2.2.4

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Ben Turner wrote:

> I apologize for the low level of the question but I have just completed a=
> install of FreeBSD and when it is booting all I can see is a | and a
> blinking cursor underneath it.  The screen does not all for input and the=
re
> isn't any disk activity going on so I am guessing it is hung on something=
=2E
> I cannot figure out why it is hung and I have searched the net with littl=
> results.

Did you really install FreeBSD 2.2.4? This release has become very
obsolete concerning system security and hardware support!

Apart from that, it seems that loading the kernel fails on your system.
May be there are bad sectors on your hard disk causing that? Or is the
kernel location beyond the 1024 cylinder limit? A long time has passed
since I used a 2.2-RELEASE system so I'm not sure about the cause of your
problem ...

You could try to boot your system by using the install floppy and to
explore it by using the fixit floppy. Try to read your hard disk partition
with the dd command and take a look whether errors are reported:

dd bs=3D8k if=3D/dev/rwd0s1 of=3D/dev/null
Please replace this  ^1 with the correct partition number on your system!

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg