Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 19:43:37 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody know if there is any way to make ports use different work dir?

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     It would be nice if there were a way to tell the ports system to put the
>     work directory somewhere other then where it is currently placed.  For
>     example, to put it in /usr/obj or something like that.  Has anyone done
>     this?

   The authors of bsd.port.mk have.  Try this:

$ cd /usr/ports/misc/rtfm
$ WRKDIRPREFIX=/tmp DISTDIR=/tmp make
>> rtfm-0.2.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from http://www.freebsd.org/~chris/distfiles/.
Receiving rtfm-0.2.tar.gz (4881 bytes): 100%
4881 bytes transferred in 0.1 seconds  (48.25 Kbytes/s)
===>  Extracting for rtfm-0.2
>> Checksum OK for rtfm-0.2.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for rtfm-0.2
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for rtfm-0.2
===>  Configuring for rtfm-0.2
===>  Building for rtfm-0.2
cc -o rtfm rtfm.c -O -pipe -Wall

   Simply set WRKDIRPREFIX and DISTDIR and nothing gets written
to the ports directory.  Obviously you could put this in
/etc/make.conf and make it much easier on yourself.

   Note that you end up in this case with

/tmp/usr/ports/misc/rtfm/work/rtfm-0.2/

   that you get to rip out later.  Additionally, a
/tmp/rtfm-0.2.tar.gz is left behind.

--