Date:      Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:36:11 +0000
From:      Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling XFE

Hello All,

I admit, I am a lazy admin and like clicking with a mouse
whilst talking on the phone, drinking tea and eating toast.

I got used to XFE from using Linux and have enjoyed it in
FreeBSD - until I installed it under 5.3

Now it core dumps for no reason whatsoever. At any time.

My installation was package originally so I updated ports
and compiled XFE - but no difference - it still bombs out.

So I figure I would like to try compiling from the latest
source from the XFE site on sourceforge. The forum explicitly
says you need Fox 1.2 and wont work with anythig else
(I had 1.4 so I de-installed and DL / made version 1.2
- which BTW comes with quite a useable and stable
FM called PathFinder as well as a competent editor)

So with my Fox 1.2 installation made installed I came to
make XFE which now reports ;

checking for fxfindfox in -lFOX-1.2 ... no !
configure error: "libFOX not found"

I googled on this and found some stuff relating to the
wrong version of the Fox libraries and also some people
who have the same problem as me but the bottom drops
off those threads with no answers :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks!