Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 15:53:29 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        "Frank A. Herda" <fherda@herda.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   qpopper stuff -- Was: Re: oops...  nevermind what I said about q

> I tried your prior suggestions and although it looked like
> everything worked it still would not.  So I tried going back to
> the ports collection on freebsd's ftp site.  Apparently there is a
> port for qpop2.2.  So I blew everything off in my install direcetory
> and ran the port which is supposted to add appropriate patches
> to support freebsd.  It still did not put popper executable in the
> libexec directory.  I had to copy this from the "work" directory
> that created by the install scripts mannually.
>
> Everthing seemed to run fine, popauth created, popper created but
> when I tried to get the popper deamon running thru inetd.conf I keep
> getting permission denied (I''m doing this from root) so I'm really
> perplexed!
>

> Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing  wrong?

Mine is working fine...  I'm still trying to understand exactly how
it works.

What I had to do to get the default configuration to work, was:

chmod 1777 /var/mail

This sets the sticky bit in the permissions so that everyone can
write to that directory, but only the owner of a file can delete it.

This seems necessary so that popper (running suid to the user) can
make it's temporary files in the mail directory.  There has to be a
better way.

*shrug*
--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services

( Stuff I said does not reflect the company I work  )
( for unless I'm speaking on behalf of said company )