Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:55:03 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        se@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NCR SCSI problem with HP C1553A tape jukebox

Hi,

I have been using the HP C1553A tape jukebox with the NCR SCSI controller
for a while on FreeBSD 2.1.x on a Pentium machine and it was working
fine. Now I have upgraded the machine to a 200MHz Pentium Pro and I am
getting "st0(ncr0:5:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 88) @f112ce00." messages
when using the tape. It will work for a while and then give this error
at random places. I am still using the exact same controller and
cable and the jukebox is in an external box. It is the only device
on that SCSI bus and it is terminated on the controller and at the
end of the cable.

I had a look at the status codes and the 4 seems to indicate that
the host was finished, but the 88 does not seem to exist in the
S_xxxxx status codes or can you OR the bits?

Is it possible that there is a timing problem in the driver somewhere?

Have someone else came across this problem with a solution maybe?

Thanks

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za