Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 2004 12:54:36 -0700
From:      "Cassidy B. Larson" <butch@infowest.com>
To:        Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>, <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP issues on K8S Pro S2882G3NR

On 4/2/04 12:06 PM, "Don Bowman" <don@sandvine.com> wrote:

> Make sure your air flow is forced over the CPU. Air takes
> the path of least resistance, so e.g. opening the top
> of the case will make the air escape. The fans should
> be ducted to go directly over the heat sink, there will
> be foam or something to make this happen. Operate with the
> case closed.
>
> run e.g. lmmon to see your temperatures. I don't know
> how to do this with amd, with intel xeon, there is on
> chip sensor on smb.

Yes, CPU air flow is forced over the cpu copper heat sinks. And the top of
the case is firmly in place.

I let it sit over night to "cool down".  Upon boot-up the CPU temperatures
started around 104-105 F.  Letting them sit in the BIOS noticing the
temperature go up over 130F.

Booting into 5.2.1 with SMP kernel, I ran my perl fork mysql test scripts
six times then it froze. Back into BIOS I went again after a power cycle and
the temperatures were at 185 and 175.  Not as hot as yesterday, but I only
had it up for 10 minutes total from a cold state.

Anybody have any temperature monitoring apps for amd 5.2.1?

Anybody know what the lock-up temperature is AMD sets into their chips?

Or does anybody know how hot their 1U dual opteron 246 servers run? :)

-c