Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 10:21:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Subject:   Re: strangest weirdness

As Adam David wrote:

> I have also noticed that executables dump core often on client machines when
> the files on the fileserver have been updated "under their feet". Okay I know
> "if it hurts, don't do that", but why do these glitches occur?

Terry will certainly jump in now and explain you that it would be
better to move over the entire executable into local swap instead of
relying on the ability to page it in from the NFS server.  The latter
is what we're doing right now -- so you are simply not expected to
remove it on the server.  The Unix semantics of ``a file will only be
removed once the last reference to it disappeared'' don't work over
NFS since the server simply doesn't know (and cannot know due to the
statelessness of the protocol) which clients still hold references on
some file.  These semantics are being emulated in the case where you
unlink a file on the client that has still other references, by
renaming the file on the server first, and remove it later.

--
cheers, J"org