Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 07:42:41 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Vladimir Jakovenko <vovik@cmr.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP over IP

Hi, all!

Sorry for long posting, but it seems we really have a problem here.

 Some time ago our University was given access to Internet. We have
 only 8+16 IP adress from ISP. Our network is happened to look like
 it is shown on (simplified) figure below.

                                           Internet
                                              ^ 2 Mb/s
                 10 Mb/s                      |
         ---o------------------o------        |
      +-----+------+   +-------+-------+      |
      |  oberon    |   |      r2d2     |      |
      | FBSD-2.1.5 |   |   CISCO 2511  +------+
      |            |   |               |
[I]   +-+----------+   +---------------+                InterNet

 -------|-----------------------------------------------------------
[II]    |                                                IntraNet

        |                                +---------------+
 +------+-----+                          |      cad      |
 |   inferno  + ----...                  |   FBSD-2.1.5  |
 | Novel 3.12 |                          |               |
 |            +-----...                  +-------+-------+
 +------+-----+                                  |
10.0.0.9|                                        |
        |       +---------------+        +-------+-------+
        |       |     space     |        |       ee      |
        |       |   FBSD-2.1.5  |        |   FBSD-2.1.5  |
        |       |               |        |               |
        |       +-------+-------+        +-------+-------+
        +---------------o------------------------o-----
                    10.0.0.10                    10.0.0.11

 First eight IP adresses from ISP are used in [I] for interfaces and some
 virtual hosts. We have also a backbone network, mostly based on Ethernet,
 using RFC1918 10.0.0.0 networks. Most routers are FreeBSD boxes,
 except some stupid people with Novell.

 At present most FreeBSD boxes in our backbone don't have direct connection
 to [oberon], only via 1-4 routers, for which we dont have sufficient number
 of IP addresses from ISP.  But we would like to give these FreeBSD boxes
 such addresses, mostly because we want them to be able to connect to
 Internet not via proxy [oberon], but directly, because [oberon] is a simple
 PC-486 with 16Mb RAM and 1Gb HDD which acts as primary DNS, mail relay, and
 proxy, and it is already highly loaded.

 So we want to "redistribute" rest 16 IP adresses among other FreeBSD boxes
 via P2P tunnels, so that they look like being connected to [oberon] by P2P
 links.

Now owr questions:

 Is there any way to build "virtual" P2P link from the given FBSD box in
 campus network to [oberon] using IP over IP?
 Is there any implementation of IP over IP for FreeBSD or any other solution
 easily ported to FreeBSD?

 I looked at ipfw and tun(4), but ipfw with divert(4) in -current
 and tun(4) are designed for use with user-level programs (like iijpp).

 I think this is wrong solution in the case, because of BIG traffic from
 [oberon] to other FBSD machines, wich are supposed to act as ftp and news
 (full-feed) servers. I think the kernel-level tunneling is more effective
 solution in case of the BIG traffic. All our attempts to find such solution
 seem to fail.

Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Vladimir.