Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:09:33 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Jolok <joshualokken@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freeing space on /usr

Jolok wrote:

> hello:
>
> i just made xfree86-4.2.0 after a clean install of FreeBSD 4.5 with the
> ports collection and no x.  the make went well, but after 'make install', it
> cooks along for awhile, then i run out of space on my /usr slice.  i am
> running a 3.2 GB disk with s 1.4GB /usr slice--why is this happening?  I was
> under the impression that FreeBSD was fairly small.  What can i safely
> delete (or move) to make room for X?  How do I find the size of any
> particular directory?  Where (in the standard documentation) should i read
> about this?  I do read before i mail, but i haven't found any help yet.
> Thank you.

1. Look in the /usr/ports/distfiles directory to see if you hae files there
   that you do not need.

2. If you have compiled other ports, have you done a 'make clean' after you
   have done the 'make install'?

3. Remove those ports you do not need. If you do not speak German or Chinese
   you can remove those for example. 'cd /usr/ports' then 'rm -r german'.

4. Have you all sources for the FreeBSD OS in /usr/src? Have you compiled
   your kernel already, and you do not think you need to 'cvsup' the whole
   source tree to track security fixes, then do a 'cd /usr' and 'rm -r src'.

5. If you compiled a kernel and modules, do you have modules.old in /? Do
   you have kernel.old in /? Remove those if your kernel works ok, but do
   NOT remove kernel.GENERIC!!!

6. Do a 'pkg_info' to see what you have got installed. Remove those packages
   you don't want or need.

7. If you're really into saving space on your HDD, then remove all documents
   that are not in a language you use. You can also remove man-pages that
   are in those languages you do not use.

8. You can use 'df' to see your total disk useage: 'man df'.
   You can use 'du' to see the space directories occupies: 'man du'.

After this you hopefully will have more space left on your HDD. :-)

Best regards,
Paul