Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:23:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Daniel Stehm <daniel.stehm@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD for me?

Daniel Stehm wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

>     I apologize in advance if this list in not the list I should submit my
> questions to, but I didnt know what other list to try.
>     Anyways, I am really thinking about purchasing FreeBSD Power Pack from a
> local Comp USA (I always purchase my Linux distros, etc; to provide support
> for the makers instead of downloading it).  I just dont know if FreeBSD is
> for me. Basically, all I want is a rock solid OS that I dont have to worry
> about crashing or getting the dreaded 'blue screen of death', something that
> I can learn programming on (C, C++, PERL, PHP etc;), something I can do
> school stuff on (currently 16, sohpmore in high school), something I can get
> on the net with my DSL connection and basically just something to enjoy
> running and hopefully get me closer to my dream job of being a system admin.
> I was just wondering if FreeBSD can meet those needs above, and then offer
> more. I appreciate any and all responces. Thank you for your time.

I actively run FreeBSD full-time on about a dozen boxes or so, and have
personally set up many more.  It does not have a blue screen of death.
(Though panics are fun, I have personally only witnessed a few: once, I
forced it myself to get a kernel dump.  Once, a disk controller gave up
the ghost.  Once, a junior sysadmin attempted to run a heavily loaded
server sans CPU fan.  Once, it was definitely software related... but that
was during a test of the -CURRENT branch after a major commit :-)

FreeBSD comes with cc (gcc, actually), so C, C++.  Perl 5 is also
installed with the base system.  PHP3 and PHP4, as well as a host of
others, are available in our ports collection.

FreeBSD will work with a variety of network cards, and supports many DSL
implementations, as well as DHCP.  Our network is provisioned differently,
but I have heard some success stories of others with various DSL
providers.  Certainly don't know about Verizon.  If this doesn't generate
any replies, try to post it as another specific question.

It depends what sort of "school stuff" you want to do.  There are some
things that FreeBSD (or, more generally, UNIX) isn't.  You could probably
write your school paper in UNIX, and even print it, given sufficient time
and experience with something like ghostscript, but your mileage may vary
significantly.

"It works for me".

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon